Co-Director and Lecturer, Liverpool University Centre for Archive Studies
Director of Studies:
- Diploma / Certificate in Professional Studies: Records and Information Management, 2015 – 2018.
- HIST561 International Record-Keeping (2017/18, 2018/19)
- HIST566 Digital Records: Their Nature, Use and Preservation in the Information Society (2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19)
- HIST575 Record-Keeping Systems and the Organisational Context (2016/17, 2017/18)
- HIST577 Record-Keeping Theory and Practice (2018/19)
- RIMB001 Introduction to Records and Information Management (2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18)
- RIMB002 Principles and Tools for Managing Records (2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18)
- RIMB014 Compliance and the Regulatory Environment (2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18)
- RIMB015 Principles and Practice of Appraisal (2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18)
- RIMB016 Design and Management of Record-keeping Systems (2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18)
- RIMB017 Work-Based Student-Designed Project (2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18)
- RIMB019 Archives and Permanent Preservation (2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18)
- Admissions Officer, Masters of Archives and Records Management (International), 2017-
- Member, Central University Research Ethics Committee, 2017-
- Student Engagement Officer, Department of History, 2016/17
- Student Engagement Officer, Masters of Archives and Records Management, 2016-
- Convenor, Archival Theory Reading Group, 2015 –
- Member, Colonial and Postcolonial Histories research cluster
Education and Training Material Development
- I am currently developing a certificate course in Computational Archival Science.
- Digital records curation, 12 week course of the International Council on Archives’ Africa Programme, 2019
- Records management, eight modules for FOI study programme, Carter Center for the Liberian public sector, 2019
- File profiling, online module for International Council on Archives’ learning management system, 2019
- The Ibadan/Liverpool Digital Curation Curriculum Review Project (2016/17) was a finalist in the 2018 Digital Preservation Awards in the category of Award for Teaching and Communications.
Workshops, Short Courses and Summer Schools
- Digital Records Management workshop, with Sonia Black, CARBICA Conference, Paramaribo, Suriname, 25 March 2019.
- Records management trainer for Carter Center workshop on the right to information for women and girls, 14-15 November 2018, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Self-Documentation and Personal Record-Keeping for Refugees and Asylum Seekers, University of Liverpool, 28 June 2018, Liverpool, UK
- Records Centre Management, African Union Commission, 19-23 December 2016, Debre Zeit, Ethiopia.
- Systems for Authenticity: Using ISO16175, with Megan Venter, Conference and School on Authority, Provenance, Authenticity, Evidence, 28 October 2016, University of Zadar, Croatia.
- Digital Records Management Functional Requirements, Kenya National Archives and Documentation Service, 19September 2016, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Digital Records Management and Preservationshort course, 4–6 August 2015, University of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Digital Records Management and Preservationworkshop, 23rdBiennial Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives (ESARBICA) General Conference, 8–12 June 2015, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe.
- IRMT / ICA Digital Preservation in Low Resource Environments: A Core Curriculum, with Nancy McGovern, Archives and Cultural Industries, Second International Conference of the International Council on Archives, 11–15 October 2014, Girona, Spain.
- Convenor, Government Records Management and Citizens’ Access to Information Policy Lab, Integrity Action Summer School,Central European University, 1–6 July 2013, Budapest, Hungary.
- Abioye, A., Lowry, J. & Lynch, R., Digital Curation Education at the Universities of Ibadan and Liverpool: Benchmarking Using the DigCurV Curriculum Framework. Forthcoming.
- Lowry, J., A Report on Education and Training in the International Council on Archives’ Africa Programme,Education for Information, Vol 33(2), 2017.
Talks and Panels:
- Approaches to Archival Education, inc. Griffin, S., Francis, C., Scriwanek, M., Belfon, A., Tjien Fooh, R., Egger, J.,CARBICA conference, 22-28 March 2019, Paramaribo, Suriname.
- Lowry, J., Digital Curation in Low Resource Environments, 4 July 2017, invited lecture at University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Constitution de Groupes de réflexion autour de la stratégie Africaine de l’ICA (formation et recherche), with Jamaa Baïda, Formation, Recherche, Appui au Développement: Les Sciences et Métiers de l’Information Documentaire Face au Défide l’Émergence de l’Afrique, 3–4 December 2015, L’Ecole Superieure des Sciences de l’Information et de la Communication (ESSTIC), Yaounde, Cameroon.